Sunday, June 13, 2010

Roll, Baby, Roll!

Well, Astrinomi-con is next weekend. And I'm just not interested in speed painting an army. What I really want to do is attend but not participate. Guess I'll contact them in a bit for a press pass.

Of course there is another option...



I could see if my friend Brent needs a dice caddy! Think about it--in a fast-paced, high-stress tournament situation, who wouldn't want an extra set of hands to help reglue broken models, put away fallen soldiers and cart bags, boxes, and books from table to table to hotel room to after parties--well, maybe I'm getting a little carried away.

But seriously, I can see it now:

"Brent, how did you let yourself get flamed by 15 Burna Boys?" I ask incredulously.

"They just rolled up! I forgot about them."

"Well, you can kiss your squad goodbye..."

"No! I just need one to survive so I can assault his front mob next turn and clog that opening until I get can help over here." Rolling my eyes I tell him that that is a LOT of saves to make.

"Pick me out some lucky dice," Brent begs. "Maybe the glittery-purple ones?"

"No way, Brent. You've already rolled 3 of those off the table. I know it's my job, but I am getting tired of finding your dice. It's dusty down there!"

"It's this table; look at all this terrain!" Brent complains.

"Yeah, the terrain...or maybe those three pints you had with lunch. Hang on a sec," I say as I turn away. A moment later I turn back and lean in to continue the discussion.

"What was that?" Brent asks.

"Oh, every few minutes I make eye contact with your opponent and let him see my face go blank. I hold his eyes, never blinking myself, until he looks away, which is always after a few seconds. It really seems to rattle this guy. I think that's why he keeps forgetting to shoot with those Lootas in the back."

"That's awesome!"

"Yeah, I know," I say, grinning. "It's kinda fun too. Anyway, these dice are hot," I say as I start counting out 60 red and green dice. "The last three times you rolled these, they were 50% 5+. Trust me."

"Great, thanks, Matt! What would I do without you?" Brent asks.

"Well..." I point across the table. "If you didn't have me, your opponent probably WOULDN'T be talking to a judge about 'slowplay' right now."

3 comments:

  1. Man, you don't even know how funny this really is...

    Tonight is Saturday and I've just now seen that you've updated your blog at all. I'm going to have to seperate the blogs - I'm missing stuff.

    Anyway, I turned in an article for Blood of Kittens that should post tomorrow (or soon - not sure) and the style is eerily similar.

    I mean that word. Eerie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to the BoK article. And I can live with eerie. Apparently you and I suffer from the same affliction. Or maybe share a similar but rare talent. I don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know you can always caddy for me at BoLSCon.

    That's the last weekend of July... the room is paid for, all you would need is a pass!

    Of course, you're welcome to get involved in more than that and still get a ride and a room.

    Let me know - Brent

    ReplyDelete