Sunday, June 27, 2010

Jive Talking

I've been scooped! Well, what did I expect? I never got around to seeing if a "press pass" or "non-participant discount" existed for Astrinomi-con. And it is just as well. You didn't really think I was going to let my toy soldier fetish stop me from celebrating Juneteenth for the 11th (or is it 12th) year in a row?

Yes, this past Saturday, June 19, 2010, I was indulging in my yearly habit of eating fried chicken, drinking a 40 oz malt liquor, smoking some Kools--and the most important part--watching Blaxploitation films! While this year I was able to include some watermelon, Black & Milds and a second 40, I was only able to show one film. Typically I first show a blaxploitation film, something I've never seen but for which I have high hopes. I like to follow that up with something that deals a little more honestly with "the" African American experience (anything from Michael Shultz to Spike Lee). The last in my trifecta is usually some standup from a black comedian, cuz they help me 'keep it real.' After that, I usually have several classics and second generation blaxploitation films on hand from which my guests can choose. (That's how I've managed to see Shaft a dozen times; thank God for that awesome soundtrack or I'd be tired of the movie.) Unfortunately, this year I didn't prepare, and had to settle for just one movie (and a few Dave Chappelle skits). Fortunately, I chose wisely:



This was an amazing movie. It blows my mind that it only did $228,477 in the U.S. Box office. Either Americans are dumber than I thought or some movie studio deserves to go out of business. If somebody doesn't buy me this movie for my birthday, I will. This movie is probably the best parody I've ever seen. I don't think I've ever seen a more loving mockery. The makers had to have seen even more blaxploitation films than I! If you're only going to show one movie at your "marathon," this is the one!

Dyyyyy-nooooooo-mite!

So what does this have to do with 40k, you ask? Uhhhhh...Shut your mouth, you jive-talking mother#&$R^@&!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment