Thursday, July 8, 2010

Potential: Realized vs. Squandered

I don't have much time to sift through the myriad comments people make on my blog, but one gem did catch my eye:

"Um...I expected more...It's funny...but I'm still a little disappointed."

Ah, how many times have I heard that in my life? If not in reference to me, then in reference to my work. I can't tell you how often I've let a deadline loom too close for me to think about actually engaging the task at hand. Instead I'm forced to look for a clever way to impress the person that can cut me some slack. I'm probably as lazy as I am because this strategy usually works. What little work ethic I have is probably due to the few people who were @$$h0l3$ to me. (Is that adequate self-editing?)

So does this skill carry over into 40k? Well, anyone familiar with gamesmanship knows that you can put an opponent off of his game by being a real ass OR by being really friendly. You know that saying, "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"? Well, it is easier to win a game if you can first catch the fly (or some part of his attention). Obviously trying honey first is most effective.



However, is gamesmanship beneath a true sportsman? Or is psychological warfare part of the contest between generals facing off across a table of miniatures? What do you think? More importantly, how do you think your opponents feel on the subject?

2 comments:

  1. Actually, I am very much in the Gamesmanship camp. There's a limit, and it should be strictly adhered to - but I think it a valuable tool for the more...enterprising... general to use and manipulate the foe with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice to hear someone actually admit it! As point of personal pride, I would prefer the majority of my tactics be confined to the table top. But I know damn well if I crave the win and legally rattling my opponent will help, then I'll probably target him. Whether or not that is rude is a subjective matter and very possibly a matter of majority-rule, which is why I am always curious what others have to say on this matter. So thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete